C-L-sum list usefulness - feed back requested
From: Cohousing-L summary list (c-l-sumcohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:37:21 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

I've been producing and emailing the weekly cohousing-L summary
for about 10 months now.  There are currently 21 subscribers.
I guess I expected more people to find it useful and subscribe.

If you have comments on how useful you find c-l-sum, how you use it,
suggestions, please write with any feedback.

Do you actually browse the archives of cohousing-L
( at: http://lists.cohousing.org/archives/cohousing-l/  )
and read any messages there as a result of the c-l-sum mailings?

Below are some more thoughts about the list, feel free to read on but
a response to the above only would aso be appreciated.

Fred, listserv manager

One problem is explaining clearly and simply how to use it.
I've tried to do so on the web page
http://L.cohousing.org/c-l-sum.htm
but don't think I have been very successul.
Suggestions on wording would be welcome.

I'm wondering if it would be simpler and better to simply advise people
who are subscribed to cohousing-L to unsubscribe from cohousing-L rather
than suggesting the confusing "no mail" mode.

The summaries are mostly produced by a program but I "tweak" them some -
grouping similar message lines, putting longer threads at the top etc.
The order of messages in the summary is different than in the archives.
Finding a given message (without editing a URL which is hard to explain)
can be a nuisance.

I've pondered modifying the format slightly to put the day of the month
a message was sent in.   Example: From the way it is now:

A Private person in cohousing   FROM:  Charlene McNamara-24807

A Private person in cohousing   FROM:  Charlene McNamara-06-24807

where the added "06-" means it was archived on the 6th of the month.
Do you think this would be helpful?

( One way to find messages now is to note a message's number and then
look down the archive index for that message number.  But the message
number is only displayed at the bottom of most browsers when the mouse is
over the link to it.  While messages numbers are generally in order a few
are not (those that are held for my approval (for example if they are sent
from a non subscribed address).  Messages are archived in order of date
sent but numbers are assigned in the order they were distributed.
More difficult to explain details...

Fred, listserv manager

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)