Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:49:14 -0700 (PDT)
Marganne wrote:
"In cohousing, when a unit sells or is rented, doesn't the community
have some say about who moves in?"

In general, no. Restrictions or prior approvals by the community are generally
not legal in
condo associations, although laws in some states may vary. Oak Creek Commons
has been confronted
by this. Some homes have been sold to people not interested in being a part of
the cohousing
community.

Our community is trying to evolve strategies to encourage that those who move
here are actually
interested. Some things we have done:
1.      Found a realtor willing to come to some meals, learn about the
community, and pursue
sales strategies that include advertising in non conventional but "cohousing
friendly" media. He
has also volunteered to discount his services. In return, we are actively
recommending him to
our members
2.      Generate materials about the community and cohousing to be available to
prospective
residents and all realtors.
3.      Encourage realtors and owners of units for sale to work with community
members who can
help "sell" cohousing to prospective buyers.

This can be a really difficult part of cohousing because, over time, you can
start to lose the
critical mass that makes it work.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons