Re: Common laundry question
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 06:25:45 -0800 (PST)
On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:10 PM, R.N. Johnson <cohoranda [at] yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I think many people who have had a washer in their home overestimate the
> time/potential hassle of using a common laundry.   And it can be fun to chat
> with the occasional common house passer by as you fold your laundry.

I lived in Manhattan for years where all the laundries are either down the
street or in the basement. I never even considered repeating that. it is also
invaluable to have a W/D in my own apartment because I also work at home. I
don't have to coordinate with anyone and I control the quality. When I moved
in, after a few weeks of washing a bunch of cotton t-shirts and jeans with
stains on them in my Bosch with hot water, the stains were gone.

We don't have hot water or good washers in the CH -- standard commercial
quality -- but they are the low water kind as is mine. (Don't let the service
person just install whatever just because it is front loader.)

BUT I recently heard of an advantage to the CH laundry room I hadn't
considered. Washing for four in the CH with two machines can mean you do
laundry once a week for 2 hours instead of every day, a load here and a load
there. Clothes always sitting to be switched from one machine to the other or
in the dryer to be folded or hunted for. Doing laundry becomes a daily task
like cooking.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines