Re: Anyone Heard About Bank Restrictions on Non-MLS Sales?
From: Holly McNutt (holly.mcnuttgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 08:40:27 -0800 (PST)
Nope, haven't heard of that before.  Lending guidelines are tough now, no doubt
about that, but this seems quite absurd to me.  MLS services are business and
just one of many places to advertise.  It's kind of like saying they will only
lend on listings that appear on Zillow or something like that.  However, unlike
Zillow and all the other property websites, I think appraisers tend to rely
heavily on it for their comps and they do not like having to do extra research
and dig around in public records to find values for properties that sold
without the use of the MLS.  So maybe it has something to do with that?  And a
bank is allowed to create odd rules like that as long as they don't violate
fair lending laws, which this probably wouldn't.

If this really did prove to be a serious stumbling block for a sale, you can
always get a property listed on an MLS yourself - you doesn't need to go
through a broker - but you do have to pay to join that MLS and the fees can be
high, and the learning curve is steep.  Or you might be able to find a broker
to take pity on you and add it to the MLS for you for a modest fee.  It does
take some time to do an MLS listing as there are A LOT of fields to fill out,
but if the property is already under contract and you just need to do this to
satisfy a bank, they could probably do a "quick and dirty" listing pretty fast
just to get it on there.  Many brokers would not be willing to do this, but
some might.  I don't think it violates any realtor code of ethics, at least not
here in CO.  They just need to update it with the sales price at closing, and
this might actually be of service to your community for future sales as it
really is the easiest way for appraisers to pull comps.

Just some thoughts from someone in the field. - h

Holly Wilder  (formerly McNutt)
Visionary Properties LLC
www.visionaryproperties.vpweb.com
hollywilder23 [at] gmail.com