Re: Is Cohousing cheaper?
From: Jerry McIntire (jerry.mcintiregmail.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 10:26:32 -0800 (PST)
It appears to me that cohousing in large urban areas has a more difficult
time being cheaper. The "realities" of land and construction costs are more
rigid there. I'm heartened by the experience of CoHo in Corvallis, Oregon
where concerted sharing has saved cohousers money.

I agree with Sharon, living in such close proximity makes sharing much
easier. I will add that sharing in the design, development, and labor of
construction can also help lower the cost-- but cohousers must have some
room for that work in their lives, or they will not be able to take
advantage of such savings.

Are urban cohousers unable to save much money in their communities simply
because they are more committed to other activities? (This is a sincere,
not a rhetorical question.)

Jerry
www.StonesThrowCommunity.wordpress.com