What Is Trust?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 06:52:09 -0800 (PST)
Is trust given blindly wise? Is writing bylaws based on trust antithetical to
the need for bylaws in the first place?

To base bylaws on trust is to say that anyone who purchases a unit in
cohousing, or any bank that forecloses on one, is trustworthy.

This would seem to define all human behavior as trustworthy.

I recently had a conversation with a child psychologist about a parent in our
community who always believes what his children tell him. He believes this
teaches them to be honest because if they aren't their actions will be found
out and they will be embarrassed or punished -- by someone else. His role is to
trust his children.

The psychologist said he is teaching them to lie. The little transgressions
become big ones. They learn how to get away with things, not to become
trustworthy.

Shouldn't trust be earned based on experience? And built up over time? And have
contextual limits?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
"Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can
have some conversation." Judith Martin