Alaska Native Housing
From: The Tree-Ring Circus (FTMALacad3.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 92 17:34 CST
        Hi ho!
        I'm Mike Lewis a PhD student in anthropology at the
University of Alaska Fairbanks.  I'm not living in a cohousing
arrangement as yet, but I am interested for several reasons.
        Temperatures in Fairbanks range from 40-50 below zero
this time of year to the 80's above in the summer.
"Traditional" single family housing doesn't make a lot of sense
in this kind of climate, from the standpoint of energy and
physical resource use. If there is anyplace that is ideally
suited to cooperative housing, it's Fairbanks!
        As a student of anthropology, I've learned a bit about
lifestyles of the native peple who lived throughout this land
before we took it away from them.  Though their have
changed considerably in recent years, their traditional beliefs
and lifestyles remain, at least in some form.
        An important, even central, part of the success of Native
people in this harsh landscape is their sense of community.
Even among those Native Alaskans living in Anchorage and
Fairbanks, community is an essential part of their lives.  For
those still living traditional village lifestyles, little has changed
in this respect for the last 10,000 years.
        An important feature of Native villages was and is the
kasgi, or "men's house."  Although this structure has been
identified as a ceremonial house for male-based clan activities,
in reality it functioned as the center of activity for the entire
village. Ceremonies, dances, potlatches, community sweats, all
were held in the Kasgi, as well as instruction of male children,
qayaq and umiak building, net weaving, and other activities
associated with subsistence.
        This seems as good a model as any on which to base a
cohousing arrangement in the Arctic.  Housing designed to
share insulation and heating facilities, coupled with modern
technologies of cold-weather house design, should result in
housing that is affordable, cheaper to heat and offers a sense
of community so necessay to mental and spiritual survival in
this cold, dark land.  (We have four hours of daylight right
now.  This noon, the sun just barely made it all the way
above the horizon!)
        I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experiences
with cohousing in the far north, or knows of any references.
        Thanks!  This looks like a great group!
        Mike Lewis
        Chugiak, Alaska