Re: How Diverse is Co-Housing, Really?
From: Dan Everett (dmepollux.cs.uga.edu)
Date: Tue, 4 May 93 10:48 CDT
Hi all,

        Since the question, "Whom do you admit into your cohousing
group?" has come up in this thread, I have a relevant legal question,
to-wit:

        Our community is still in the planning stage, and we carefully
drew up an admission process for folks who want to join the community
after its charter members.

        HOWEVER, we are planning a condominium form of ownership (to
meet zoning requirements while preserving our nonstandard pedestrian
layout).  After checking out a book on Condominium Law, it seems that
membership in the Condominium Association is inextricably linked to
ownership of a condominium unit.  In other words, the community may
give itself a first option to buy a member out when he or she wants to
leave; but unless that option is exercised, the member can sell their
house (and interest in the common land) to anyone they want, who is
AUJTOMATICALLY a member of the community!

        Does anyone out there have experience with this situation?
Although the legal issue may be particular to condominium ownership,
I suspect the problem of handling members who want to sell out and
move on is not.

                        Cheers,

                        Dan