Re: How Diverse is Co-Housing, Really?
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIVAXvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 4 May 93 12:01 CDT
From: dme [at] pollux.cs.uga.edu (Dan Everett)
        Since the question, "Whom do you admit into your cohousing
group?" has come up in this thread, I have a relevant legal question,
to-wit:

        Our community is still in the planning stage, and we carefully
drew up an admission process for folks who want to join the community
after its charter members.

        HOWEVER, we are planning a condominium form of ownership (to
meet zoning requirements while preserving our nonstandard pedestrian
layout).  After checking out a book on Condominium Law, it seems that
membership in the Condominium Association is inextricably linked to
ownership of a condominium unit.  In other words, the community may
give itself a first option to buy a member out when he or she wants to
leave; but unless that option is exercised, the member can sell their
house (and interest in the common land) to anyone they want, who is
AUJTOMATICALLY a member of the community!

My, things are getting active again, aren't they.
Since I'm at work and don't have all my notes, I'm not sure on this, but I
think you have hit on one of the major differences between coop and condo
ownership.  We (Monterey) are currently coop - and it is my understanding this
gives us more control over who can buy in if someone is leaving.  I think our
by-laws require approval by the Board of Directors.   But,  we are also talking
of our additional units being condo.  So, . . . . we'll see.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)