Re: Cohousing Membership Models
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIVAXvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 4 May 93 16:17 CDT
At Monterey, we have essentially two levels of membership plus an initial
observer status.  Interested people (usually after an introductory tea or
forum) are asked to attend a Friday night potluck dinner and to come to at
least two working meetings as observers.  They are then assigned a "buddy"
contact person who can help them understand what is happening, give info, etc.
After some number of such meetings (that is up to them) they can ask to be
associate members, which means a sort-of-"member track".  They are then
expected to start coming to meetings and getting involved with the work of the
group.  They also start paying $5/mo dues toward copying costs, etc, and
receive copies of minutes, handouts, etc.  After a minimum of 5 such meetings,
including task force/work group meetings, they can ask to join the group and
become full members.  This requires a larger financial committment, which is
still under discussion, as well as larger dues, and, subject to consensus of
the group, puts them into the priority sequence for units as they become
available.

We got the ideas for this from a couple of other groups - I think it was
Pioneer Valley (Mass) and Delridge (Seattle).

I hope this helps.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)