Small CoH communities
From: Fred H Olson -- WB0YQM (FRED%JWHvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 93 20:22 CDT
Here's an article from Judy Baxter that the server rejected... Fred

Some thoughts on small CoHousing Communities - McCamant and Durrett are right -
not that I ever doubted it.

At Monterey CoHousing (7 blocks outside Mpls, MN - you can see, I don't think of
us as in the suburbs) we currently have 7 active households living in the
being-remodeled building with 8 units plus common space) and 4 member
households waiting for the new units to be built, plus a couple households on
the membership track.  In the 7 households, we have 2 kids, 1 dependent adult,
and 10 resident adults plus 1 part-time resident adult.  And of those, 2
couples retire early, after supper, and 2 adults are rarely around in the
evening.  So it mostly feels like not a lot of people around in the evening,
during the week, and very few during weekdays.

All this is temporary, of course, since we are in the process of planning for
10-15 or so additional units, and we can't wait.  It's very clear that for it
to feel like CoHousing we need quite a few more people.  I'd never thought of
the day/night people aspect of things, either.  Right now, our common dinners
are the key glue that holds us together.  So . . .  food for thought.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
(Mococo)  baxter%epivax [at] vx.acs.umn.edu