sustainability
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIVAXvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 93 09:00 CDT
>There seem to me to be two distinct styles of cohousing, urban and rural.  The
>rural style seems a lot more to me like the commune concept than the urban
>groups, who seem more interested in building a small-town type of community
>while remaining close to their place of employment and other urban
>attractions.  The former, I think, are the ones really interested in
>sustainable development.

I agree, basically, Andre.  But I think it is less a question of interest then
of feasibility - if you aren't rural, the zoning codes are pretty restrictive,
plus the neighborhood concerns, plus the shortage of land, all limit the kinds
of practices I associate with sustainable development/self sufficiency - i.e.
composting toilets, alternative power sources, raising a large proportion of
one's food, etc.  Other views?
JUdy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter%epivax [at] vx.acs.umn.edu