Re: sustainability
From: apguirard (apguirardmmm.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 93 09:22 CDT
Judy Baxter writes:
> ... But I think it is less a question of interest than of feasibility - if
> you aren't rural, the zoning codes are pretty restrictive...

This is true, but on the other hand, cohousing communities aren't located
randomly; their members choose where they want to build them. Groups that
place a higher emphasis on sustainable development / agriculture will tend
to locate in rural areas, whereas those who value urban amenities more are
likely to locate in (or on the fringes of) a city.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel that this choice results in two very
different kinds of communities.  The sustainable development groups must
require a lot more work of their members simply because there's so much
more to do. Organic farming is a pretty labor-intense activity. If you have
composting toilets, someone must periodically remove the, er, product.  In
the city you just flush and it's gone.  I'm thinking that the organization
would have to be different.  For instance, if someone isn't doing their
share of the work, in a rural setting it's a much more serious problem.  I
would think the rules would have to be more strict or more seriously
enforced.

Also, since there are fewer other people around, I'm thinking that a rural
community would tend to be more insular.  Many members might rarely see
anyone outside the community.  Because of long commute times, the community
would tend to attract more people who can work from their homes, or who
view agriculture etc. as their only work.  If you're self-sustaining or
nearly so, there's much less motivation to have any interaction with the
outside world.  See what I mean?