people who "know" Cohousing
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIVAXvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 09:12 CDT
Andre says:

>Just don't assume, because people nod knowingly,
>that they know anything.

In my experience, Now, at any rate, the nod usually means they are thinking of
a coop, a shared household (2-? families in a large house) or a commune.  I've
taken to defining it as like a condo complex with more shared facilities and
more intent of community, or an intentional neighborhood.  They don't quite get
the idea of self-sufficient units plus common dining, etc.  And most people
haven't a clue about what it takes to develop one, or run one.

And, NANCY, you are so right about how it takes over your life.  We had our (my
partner and I) 1st dinner guests two weeks ago, for take out food and to see
our unit, with our new skylights and useable (temporarily) living room, and
that's after starting to move in, with construction going on, 4 months ago.  My
mother will visit for the 1st time from NYC next week, and I'm trying to find
the energy to invite some folks over.  But, as I keep telling myself, we are
the pioneers, we 8 households of a planned 19-24 or so, making the whole deal
possible.

I'll be in Acton (actually Concord and Acton) next Thanksgiving - hope to be
able to connect with you folks again - met a couple from your group last year .

Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter%epivax [at] vx.acs.umn.edu