A CoHousing Reading List
From: James Rubarth-Lay (rubarthjccwf.cc.utexas.edu)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 14:47 CDT
A CoHousing Reading List

At our last monthly meeting the Violet Crown CoHousing Group librarian passed
out a couple of lists of resources for those interested in getting started in
CoHousing. Since there have been a few requests recently both here and in
alt.co-ops for such information, I thought I'd transcribe the list and post it.
Have fun.

Compiled by the Rocky Mountain CoHousing Association (1705 14th St.
#317, Boulder, CO 80302, (303) 442-3280) and others.

_CoHousing: A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves_, Kathryn
McCamant and Charles Durrett, 1988, Habitat Press, 1250 Addison #113,
Berkeley, CA 94702. $21.95. This is the book that started the CoHousing
movement in the United States. It is a beautiful book with lots of
photographs and detailed descriptions of existing CoHousing communities
in Europe. It also has some advice for creating CoHousing communities
here in the States.

_CoHousing_, The CoHousing Network, 1620 Belvedere Ave., Berkeley, CA
94702. $20.00 per year. A newsletter published by The CoHousing Network
that provides news and information about the development process,
management issues and life in CoHousing communites. It contains regional
inserts about the activities of core groups around the United States.
Three issues per year.

_Northeast CoHousing Quarterly_, The Northeast CoHousing Quarterly, 155
Pine Street, Amherst, MA 01002, (413) 549-3616. $15.00 per year. A
newsletter promoting and supporting CoHousing initiatives in the
northeast and mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.

_Collaborative Communities: CoHousing, Central Living, and Other New
Forms of Housing with Shared Facilities, Dorit Fromm, 1991, Van Nostrand
Reinhold, New York, NY. $46.95. A look at Danish, Dutch, Swedish and
American collaborative communites with several nuts and bolts chapters
on various aspects of development such as forming a group, structuring
the development, site search, financing and ownership options, design,
building and more.

_Directory of Intentional Communities_, Fellowship for Intentional
Community, 1992, Sandhill Farm, Rutledge, MO.

_Bioshelters, Ocean Arks, City Farming: Ecology as the Basis of Design_,
Nancy and Jack Todd, 1984, Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, CA.

_A Better Place to Live: New Design for Tomorrow's Communities_, Michael
Corbett, 1981, Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA.

_The Community Land Trust Handbook_, The Institute for Community
Economics, 1982, Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA.

_Builders of the Dawn: Community Lifestyles in a Changing World_,
Corinne McLaughlin and Gordon Davidson, 1985, Stillpoint, Walpole, NH.

_Sustainable Communities: A New Design Synthesis for Cities, Suburbs and
Towns_, Sim Van der Ryn & Peter Calthorpe, 1986, Sierra Club Books, San
Frnacisco, CA.

_A Pattern Language_, 1977, and _The Timeless Way of Building_,
Christopher Alexander, 1979, Oxford University Press, New York, NY.

_Design with Nature_, Ian L. McHarg, 1969, Doubleday, Garden City, NY.

_The Experience of Place: A Completely New Way of Looking at and Dealing
with our Radically Changing Cities and Countryside_, Tony Hiss, 1990,
Knopf, NY.

_Healthy Home: An Attic to Basement Guide to Toxin-Free Living_, Linda
Hunter, 1990.

_The Natural House Book_, David Pearson, 1989, Simon & Schuster, New
York, NY.

_Permaculture: A Designer's Manual_, Bill Mollison, 1988, Agricultural
Access Publications.

COMMUNITY MAKING

_Building United Judgement: A Handbook for Concensus Decision Making_
and _A Manual for Group Facilitators_, both by Center for Conflict
Resolution, 731 State Street, Madison, WI 53703.

_The Different Drum: Community Making and Peace_, M. Scott Peck, 1987,
Simon & Schuster, New York, NY.

| James Rubarth-Lay                        home: rubarthj [at]
ccwf.cc.utexas.edu |
| TX Union MicroCenter                     office: micro [at]
bongo.cc.utexas.edu |
| (512) 471-6227                           Earth: 30d 16m 01s N, 97d 44m 34s |