copy of message to listserv author
From: Fred H Olson -- WB0YQM (FRED%JWHvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 14:56 CDT
From:   JWH::FRED         "Fred H Olson -- WB0YQM" 15-JUL-1993 14:53
To:     ACSSVX::IN%"tasos [at] cs.bu.edu",FRED
Subj:   Listserver reject msg to orig author?

                                  Thu  07-15-1993
                                  Fred H. Olson    ( WB0YQM )
                                  1221 Russell Av N
                                  Minneapolis, MN 55411
                                  (612) 588-9532
                                  (Internet: fred%jwh [at] vx.cis.umn.edu)

Hi,

I am the sysop (owner) of the mailing list COHOUSING-L [at] uci.com which is
running
on version 5.5 of your listserver. Jon [at] uci.com maintains the software; I
maintain this list by email. We have it configured to reject messages from
non-subscribers. I have not set up an aliases file yet; any day now...

We have had some messages rejected recently because addresses on the list
weren't quite the same as what the rejected message had e.g.
from message: trey [at] hpperf1.cup.hp.com      on list(as edited): trey [at]
cup.hp.com

In this case editing to have the longer address on the list will hopefully
fix it.

However apparently no "reject" message is sent back to the author of the
message that was rejected as I assumed. The only way the author would have of
knowing about the reject is if they had ack set so they got copies of things
they posted or another subscriber tells you they didnt get it....

I think the server should send a reject message to the author as well as to the
owner.  BTW the reject message comes from COHOUSING-L rather than listserv
which seems inconsistant with other error messages.

Note: I just got back from vacation to find about 50 list related messages
and felt a bit overwhelmed as owner this rather inactive list... Also
my mail facilities on my account on a little old microVAX with an old
version of VMS.  This is not a major problem if I keep up with my
maintenance stuff but I thought I'd let you know.

Sincerely,

Fred Olson