Re: Seattle area cohousing
From: Fred H Olson -- WB0YQM (FRED%JWHvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 14:07 CDT
>Someone posted here (a few months ago) a directory of all the Seattle
>coHousing groups - and then an update.  Don't know if that person is
>still on the list. I printed it out and posted it on our bulletin
>board, but cleared it out of my e-mail.  If it doesn't show up here,
>remind me and I'll hunt up that person's e-mail address.
>
>Judy
>

>Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
>(Mococo)  baxter%epivax [at] vx.acs.umn.edu
>
>Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  930-7580

 <actually this message was rejected from Judy's alternate account so I'm
  posting and responding at the same time.   Fred >

Below is the Seattle directory posted in May.
An update and comparable info from other areas would be nice tho.
The current issue of the national Cohousing newsletter has an item about
the formation of a database of cohousing groups.   It would be nice if we
could tie in with that somehow...   Fred Olson
                                    (Internet: fred%jwh [at] vx.cis.umn.edu)

FROM MAY:

Puget Sound Cohousing Groups, May 1993

------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Group Name  | Desired Location| Current            | Contact | Phone    | Stage
            | Size of Site    | Members     |         | (206)    |
            |                 | (# of units)|         |          | stage
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Dragon      | Own 38 acres in | 1 family    | Sanda   | 732-4855 | Initial
Belly       | rural Jefferson | (7-10)      | or Brian|          | meeting/
Farm        | County          |             |         |          | design
            |                 |             |         |          | stage
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
New         | < 45 minutes    | 5 households| Eric    | 783-4821 | Recruitment/
Cohousing   | from Seattle,   | (7-14)      | Rehm    |   or     | Site
Group       | semi-rural?     |             |         | 865-8904 | selection
            |                 |(some low/moderate     |          | stage
            |                 |income units)|         |          |
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Olympia     | Olympia         | 4 households| Jim or  | 943-0909 | Initial
Cohousing   |                 | (20)        | Becky   |          | meeting
            |                 |             |         |          | stage
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Rainbow     | Own 67 acres in | 3 households| Arnie   | 249-5126 | Building
Ridge       | Montesano, 20   | (8-10)      | Sorenson|          | stage
            | miles west of   |             |         |          |
            | Olympia         |             |         |          |
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Rosewind    | Own 7 acres in  | 7 households| Richard | 282-2760 | Design/
Cohousing   | city of Port    | (27)        | or      |          | Permit
            | Townsend        |             | Geralynn|          | Build in
            |                 |             | Roackowski         | 93/94
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Sharingwood | Own 39 acres in | 14          | Joe Losi| 788-5585 | Phase I:
Cohousing   | S. Snohomish    |Memberships  |         |          | Building
            | County, N. of   |2 Associates |         |          | Phase II:
            | Woodinville     |(Phase I 17) |         |          | Initial
            |                 |(Phase II 12)|         |          | meeting
            |                 |             |         |          | stage
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Songia      | Own 11 acres    | 9 partners  | Fred or | 486-2035 | Design /
Cohousing   | outside Bothell | 22 people   | Nancy   |          | Incorp.
            | 2 houses on site| living on   | Lanphear           | stage
            |                 | site        |         |          |
            |                 | (12)        |         |          |
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Sunday      | Own 2.5 acres in| 23          | Joan    | 723-9423 | Design /
Evening     | West Seattle    | (23)        |Schneider|          | Permit
Cohousing   | (Delridge       | (waiting    |         |          | stage
(a.k.a.     | Neighborhood)   | list)       |         |          |
Puget Ridge |                 |             |         |          |
Cohousing)) |                 |             |         |          |
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Talking     | Own 20 acres on | 7 households| Mindy or| 221-6932 | Built out;
Circle      | Whidbey Island  | (8)         | Carl    |          | Completing
            |                 |             | Magnuson|          | common
            |                 |             |         |          | house
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Vashon      | Own 12 acres    | 5 households| Evan or | 576-4410 | Incorp.
Cohousing   | 1/2 mi. from    | (15)        | Dale    |          | stage
            | city of Vashon, |             | Simmons |          |
            | Vashon Island   |             |         |          |
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Whatcom     | Rural Whatcom   | 4 households| Monica  | 332-5774 | Initial
County      | County          | (10-12)     | Aebly   |          | meeting
            |                 |             |         |          | stage
------------+-----------------+-------------+---------+----------+-----------
Winslow     | Own 5 acres in  |27 households| Common- | 780-1323 | Built out
Cohousing   | city of         |(30)         | house   |          | and sold:
            | Bainbridge      |             | Office  |          | 30 units
            | Island (Winslow)|(3 for sale) |         |          | with
            |                 |             |         |          | common
            |                 |             |         |          | house

General Cohousing Contacts:
Rob Sandelin, NW Intentional Communities Assoc.  936-7157  (Sharingwood)
Eric Rehm, The New Cohousing Group, 783-4821 rehm [at] zso.dec.com