using hotel/Coh for whom
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIVAXvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 16:21 CDT
with respect to the comment:

<It seems to me that an ideal structure in which to create an urban
<cohousing facility would be a residential hotel.

I live in a close approximation.  I have one of the first 8 units of a planned
24 (we are working on building 16 townhouses).  The 8 "apartment type units are
in an elegant Georgian brick building which began life as a retirement home,
with 23 bedrooms, 14 baths, a large living room, study, medium size dining
room, sort of commercial kitchen, and a few other miscellaneous spaces we use
or will use as storage and common space.  It is in many ways ideal for
CoHousing.

What I see is that it is difficult to create units with a lot of light from
rooms off a corridor.  Depends a lot on the layout at the amount you spend for
rehab.  Some of our units are much more attractive than others,.  And, we have
some of the smallest, most affordable studio-type-size units I've heard of.

I like it - I think the idea is basically good.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter%epivax [at] vx.acs.umn.edu
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  930-7580