Cohousing paper for seminar - input requested
From: Fred H Olson -- WB0YQM (FRED%JWHvx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 08:54 CDT
From:   ACSSVX::IN%"cohousing-l [at] uci.com" 26-OCT-1993 15:18
To:     IN%"fred%jwh [at] vx.cis.umn.edu"
CC:     IN%"fred%jwh [at] vx.cis.umn.edu"
Subj:   CoHousing Research

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 15:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: cohousing-l [at] uci.com
Subject: CoHousing Research
Sender: cohousing-l [at] uci.com
To: fred%jwh [at] vx.cis.umn.edu
Cc: fred%jwh [at] vx.cis.umn.edu
Originator: cohousing-l [at] uci.com
Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas

Rejected message sent to cohousing-l [at] uci.com by MIT.EDU!QUEEN
follows.
: This message printed from 100% recycled electrons.

Good morning!

I am an architecture major at Wellesley College, and am trying to write a
paper about CoHousing for a seminar.  While I have *the Book* about CoHousing
and all the wonderful stuff that's been done in Europe, most of it seems like
hype.

What I would like is to hear from those of you who are either living in a
CoHousing situation, or are currently setting up such a group (anywhere in the
US, Canada or Mexico is fine) or those of you who are comtemplating it, but
haven't laid your money down yet.

What I am looking for is:

* Architectural styles: what are you trying to build?
        --Materials you have chosen
        --Type of site you have selected
        --any problems you may have encountered with
                Architects vis a vis design, deadlines, etc.
        --any problems you may have encountered with zoning

* How have you chosen the Architect?
        --Selection criteria

* Group compatibility
        --How many members do you have or propose to have?
        --What are the age ranges?
        --Have steps been taken to insure that children and
                elderly will be comfortable in this environment?
        --What are the professions of group members?

* (If you are currently living in CoHousing) Has the commitment
        to the group altered your lifestyle beyond your expectations?

* (If you are involved in setting up a group) At what stage are you, and
        are things moving as you expected?

* (If you are contemplating joining a group) What interests you about
        CoHousing?  What do you see that holds advantages for you?
        What do you perceive as disadvantages?

* If you have any other thoughts about CoHousing, or know of anyone or group I
should contact, electronically or in person.

All replies will be confidential;  I will keep any correspondence off-line. My
time-frame is to have this research completed by November 21st. and the paper
finished by Dec.9.

I appreciate any feedback you are able to give me.

I personally would like to see CoHousing boosted.  One way to do it is to
introduce it to the Academics. =-)

If everyone is agreeable, I would be willing to send my results to this list.

Thanks for your help!

 -- Alice LaPierre