status of MOCOCO design
From: Judy (BAXTER%55317vx.cis.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 12:18 CST
Nancy asks_
Judy, does this mean that you have already planned and designed units but
are looking for members? Or are you looking to design the units after you
get more members?

--------------------------
Well, we seem to be operating differently from other groups.  As a phase 1
member (ie. I have a rehab unit carved out of the existing , former retirement
home), I have stayed out of steering the design process, but have some
questions about it.  We spent a lot of time on the site plan, since the site
is, as our architects say, "challenging". And we have kind of modular
footprints laid out - that can vary in size according to how we slice them and
how many levels we build.  Our development consultant is encouraging us to
build what people want.  And so far, we don't have "model" unit plans worked
out.  Though I think that is coming. The site plan took some revising, to
accomodate the fire dept's stringent requirments for turnarounds.

It seems that sizes so far in cohousing vary a lot -  Winslow, i hear, has
pretty compact units, and my impression is that Nyland's are larger.  I haven't
taken the time to dig through what info I have.  Amherst (Pioneer Valley)
also has "models" that people can add to - and the largest was 1300 sq feet.
I've asked to see those - no response as  yet.

Anyway, it's an iterative process.  But it is hard to know who is out there -
we have been laying low until now, and now are accellerating PR.

I'm still interested in this survey.
Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter%epivax [at] vx.cis.umn.edu
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  612-930-7580