Re: A cohousing consultant and workshop
From: Martin Schafer (schaferanubis.network.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 17:43 CST
Cohousing and affordability -- Affordability was something that was
very important to our group (TRG).  We looked at a lot of sites and
we got as far as preliminary engineering and architecture analysis
on one.  After flailing around we have come to the depressing
conclusion that the only way to do affordable cohousing is to
modify a preexisting residential building.  New built is too
expensive even if you get the land free.  Bringing a wharehouse
style building up to code is too expensive also.

Trying to get the average unit price down under $80,000 has left
us with only options that are terribly attractive.