owners/renters
From: Judy (BAXTER%55317VX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 14:22 CST
Without picking up all the details from earlier discussion, i'd just like to
add:    There is one community described in the CoHousing book (McCamant and
Durrett) that was developed as half rental/half owner.  Apparently works just
fine - set up as two separate entities legally (if I remember right) that share
common facilities ;  I think there were some decisions that because of the the
legal structure, renters did not participate, I don't rmember details.  But it
seemed to work as one community - I met someone from it very briefly (like 5
minutes) and he said there was no owner/renter problem.
        Katie McCamant said it's the only one in Denmark - because of two legal
structures and accounting and associated costs, overheads were relatively high
-she said it was like two 10 unit developments, and that made it more
expensive.  So - that's what I know.

The problem I see with rental units is finding someone to invest in them - this
may be one of the things that will come when the concept is more accepted.  I
don't think it is inherently a problem.

Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter%epivax [at] vx.cis.umn.edu
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  612-930-7580