Fred, the sysop, blows it...
From: Fred H Olson -- WB0YQM (FRED%JWHVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 13:18 CST

Early this morning (11/18/93 at about 5:00 am when I couldn't sleep)
I goofed and "reply"ed by mistake which resulted in a message
entitled "RE: Error Condition Re: SET COHOUSING-L MAIL DIGEST NOACK"
being distributed to all subscribers !!!

I'm sorry for the mistake.  The messages starts:

>Hi,
>
>Your recent command was sent to the list address

Ironically the message goes on to say :

>Commands to listserv [at] uci.com
>List messages to cohousing-l [at] uci.com

This is part of a message I recently created (in a file) to be sent to
a subscriber (NOT THE WHOLE LIST) who mistakenly sends a COMMAND to
cohousing-l [at] uci.com  rather than to listserv [at] uci.com
The new version of the list server recognises it as a command and doesn't
distribute the message to all subscribers. It does send the sysop an obscure
error message which says "request sensed" (I dont know if the subscriber gets
this message)

Sorry to confuse you with all these details, using the list shouldn't
be confusing but I'm afraid there are some messy details that complicate
things.

To reiterate tho:

Send articles to be distributed to all subscribers to cohousing-l [at] uci.com

Send commands as the first line in the body of the message
such as "Set cohousing-l mail digest"  to listserv [at] uci.com

Fred H. Olson    ( WB0YQM )                  "The hurrier I go the
fholson [at] uci.com                              behinder I get" , he says
sysop of COHOUSING-L                         with a yawn.