holiday displays
From: Judy (BAXTER%55317VX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 93 10:25 CST
Happy Holidays, gang-

Nancy writes
However, I think I heard some people discussing this kind of thing and there
was still an objection about Christmas in particular because it is the
"dominant culture" in our country.  While I agree that this is true, and am
equally fed up with the commercialization, etc. of the holiday, I think it is
unfair to single it out to be banned, or to ban all displays because of it.
______________________________
For me, I guess it comes down to how "ideologically" people want to live, and
an issue of flexibility and tolerance.  As the only one in our group not raised
a Christian, I certainly share some negative feelings about xmas - but I also
enjoy our tree, as long as I don't feel I have to create it.  I don't want to
live in reaction to a "dominant culture".  I choose the parts of Judaism (how
do you spell that?) that I celebrate, and I would like others to do similarly.
        I think these issues are going to be issues that depend on the
particular
values of each group - and how differences are resolved.  No "should"s for me.
I can't face more "issues" to discuss, either
judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  612-930-7580