survey results
From: Judy (BAXTER%55317VX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 93 13:50 CST
Well folks - here it is - the results of my survey, such as it was; I sent
out the following message - which appears to have been less than clear - yup- I
should have piloted it.  Oh well,
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 11:53 -0600 (CST)
Subject: market for cohousing

I have a question for as many people as are willing to reply.  How many of you
actually know one or more people who you think would be seriously ready to
consider committing to a cohousing community  and could afford to buy a unit,
and some idea of the maximum those persons could afford?  (AND the people
aren't already in a core group). The response NONE is as important or more
important than yes, some number.

So - the question is - how many households do you know who you think would be
seriously ready to consider committing to a cohousing community  and could
afford to buy a unit, (AND the people aren't already in a core group) and some
idea of the maximum those persons could afford?

As you can guess, Monterey Cohousing is gearing up for recruitment, and we are
also discussing what size (and cost) units people might afford.  I have a
theory, but no data.

====================================

I guess what I was really getting at was how many people may be out there who
either 1) have heard of cohousing but aren't ready to start on their own  or
           2) haven't heard of "cohousing" but have talked of various shared
living
options and would be likely candidates.
i.e. - are those of us who have put years of effort into this just the tip of
the iceberg, or some way-ahead pioneers?

The results so far suggest we are more pioneerish than I had hoped.  Of the 9
replies that I got (out of how many folks on this "net"?)
        5 seemed to say none beyond themselves or their core groups
[maybe they mean no-one else is interested in THEIR Group.  I know a few people
here who are really interested but Monterey is not a good location for them.]

        1 knew of 5
        1 group has a waiting list of 15 hholds and thinks there are lots
        1 core group described itself
        1 describes a 3-4 in the core group and 16 or so possibles in contact at
orientation meetings

My sense is that this process is demanding(more than I like) and people who get
in now really care about having the community.  And lots of people want it, but
also have a lot of other requirements (lots of green space, in the city,
ecological concerns, low income, .... you name it).  So for any  particular
site and set of parameters, we select out a few people.  I had hoped, like it
says in The Book, that once it looks real, more and more people are attracted.
And that may be true - I may just be too impatient.

Thanks for responding, all of you.
Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  612-930-7580