Re: Economic naivete
From: Kieran Roe (kroecap.gwu.edu)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 22:20:17 -0500 (EST)
        I don't think naivete is a virtue in itself, in this world of hard
knocks.  But I would never want to knock it either.  Some of the greatest
work has been done by inspired idealists who, if they knew more about the
"realities" of what they were getting into might have never taken first steps;
who looked at injustice's pitiful face, said , "that ain't right" and did
something about it.

        Affordable housing should be an option everywhere, not just
on the Redneck Riviera.  Its a problem that requires complex, not simple
solutions.

        Cohousing may have a very important role to play -- taking the
developer middle man out may take something off the price.  Likewise,
shared facilities and resources, and bulk purchasing.  Just because
something is affordable doesn't mean someone won't take pride and maintain
and improve it.  Especially in the context of a community where people can
start to see that sharing the ups and downs of life is much more
satisfying than keeping up with the joneses.  Enjoy the riches of
community from your little house!

Its definitely a balance -- I think some scheme like granting allowances
for physical improvements made plus an increase matching the rate of
inflation gives an individual all the incentive he/she really needs to
keep a place nice -- if they really want to be there in the first place.
If they want to make a real estate killing they shouldn't be in cohousing
in the first place.