Re: Consultant fees
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 10:00:50 PST
Sounds like you are in the classic limbo of finding a financial core
group. Based on our experience I would advise you to do a thorough
financial assessment of your members ability to make a mortgage if you
haven't already.  The Puget Sound Cohousing Network put together a
Feasibility survey as part of the Cohousing Getting Started Kit which
among other things screens for members income levels.

One of the 4 deadly cohousing "traps" is when people who want to be
members, or who may be members don't really have the financial
wherewithal to make a mortgage.  The typical financing formula used by
banks out here is:
2 years in the same line of work
no credit problems (collections or bankruptcy)
Max loan at 2 1/2 times income.
 I have heard of several groups who thought they had enough core
members but once they tried to actually committ to buying a site they
found out many of their members didn't qualify for loans.
Of the four projects in Puget Sound  that have built or are building,
the average home/unit cost is well above $100,000.  So to qualify for a
loan a member needs to have either lots of equity or an income of over
$40,000.  This has unfortunately excluded some excellent people from
cohousing.  It is much better to screen prospective members up front
then have them put a bunch of time and energy into a dream that they
can't realize.   Although I have heard of at least one group who is
successfully working  a low-income project (The Pacifica group in
Pacifica Ca) it is not easy to get subsidy for low income members.

Good luck on your endeavors

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network
Sharingwood Cohousing Community