RE: Equitable distribution of costs
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 10:31:25 PST
In addition to what you list, I would also suggest collecting from
"members" a small monthly assessment of $15-25.  As your membership
grows this will give a pool of funds to work with, is relatively
painless to do, a sets a level of monthly financial commitment that is
small, but significant.

This has worked well for a couple of the groups that have just gotten
started in our area for a couple of reasons.  One big benefit that has
come of this is that it sets a  very tangable financial criteria for
membership.  I have heard from several forming groups that there are
lots of people, who are "interested" in cohousing but don't actually
ever commit.  Sometimes these onlookers can have valuable skills and
knowlege to contribute and add a positive energy to the project.
Sometimes they bring negative energy or just waste your time.

If part of membership is defined as an ongoing financial commitment,
often those who are only marginally interested will drop out or you can
use their knowlege and energy as non-members but not give them blocking
voice in meetings and decisions.