RE: Equitable distribution of costs
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 09:35:09 PST
Another point of view is to ask, why should costs be equitable? In most
cases the people who come in early take all the financial risks, put in
most of the effort and do much of the vision. Why shouldn't they be
rewarded for that with a price advantage? Or, to put it the other way,
why would anyone want to take the risks and make the effort if they can
wait and buy in when everything is figured out, at the same cost
without any of the effort?  All four built out groups in our area
(Winslow, Puget Ridge, Sharingwood and Talking Circle) all had trouble
getting people on board when there was lots of risk and design and
other work to do, but had a large influx as the project neared, or was
close to finalizing.
   At Sharingwood Cohousing, the founders paid cost for the lots
($20,000). The last lot sold was at $43,000.  Some of that difference
in cost was reflected in the development costs accrued but also some of
that difference went into the common account of the group, and for
those who bought an extra lot to give the group development capital
when it was desparately needed, that difference is profit for them.
   The founders took all the financial risks, did all the development
efforts and got essentially value returned for that work and risk in
the form of cheaper lots. Now that all the work in our first phase is
largely done, its amazing how many people we have who want to join the
first phase and how none of those same people are interested in doing
the development work in the second phase.
   That's why we are selling the first three memberships in the second
phase (first phase is sold out) at a reduced rate and the rest of the
memberships for $8,000 more.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing
Puget Sound Cohousing Network