RE: Paying members of group for work
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 12:00:54 PST
I have only heard of one of the ten cohousing groups in our area (Puget
Sound) paying a member to do work and that was for doing a full time
development manager job. (He is an architect and has that specialized
experience).

Everybody else uses volunteers to get it all done.  What this means is
that some things don't get done right away.  At Sharingwood we
prioritize our tasks so that the primary energy goes into stuff that is
most important.  What this means in practice is that the amount of what
gets done, and when it gets done, reflects pretty clearly the energy
and commitment of the group at that particular time.    We still
haven't got the entrance project started, two years after we did the
plan. And it took us three months to finish the playground out (And the
grass never did get planted on the side) Almost always stuff that is
important gets taken care of and the rest.....well, relax and live with
the mess. (I know that this is hard to do for some types of people -
the drivers want it done to spec and on schedule. But dealing with
their frustrations and expectations is really a communications/group
process activity such as a sharing circle - see the current issue of
Cohousing magazine for details)