RE: Paying members of group for work
From: Edward J OConnell (ejoworld.std.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 10:42:55 -0500 (EST)
Reminds me a little of BF Skinners Walden Two.

I would only say that in some relationships, a free market can have a
curiously unfullfilling, community eroding effect. Allowing dollars to
intersect with credits will have the effect of introducing the standard
consumerist hierarchy into the culture. Of course, it *will* help the
trains run on time, I've a feeling.

But I've noticed a reluctance, by some, to equate work for community with
money with friendship/family. Could there be something in community that
overides comparative advantage and Adam Smiths invisible hands?

The broader culture is based entirely on the market.  This is in part what
some people are trying to get away from, IMO. Old style cohousing.
Masters and servants!

I think anything that everyone agrees to will probably work fine. This is
all theoretical to me, so dont' pay any attention. We're still in the
shopping around stages. I'm interested in what people think.

That was just my two cents. If you'll pardon the expression!

E. Jay O'Connell_____________________________________ejo [at] world.std.com
"God does not play dice with the Universe"--A Einstein
"No, she plays SuperScratch-Card Wingo (TM)"--Me.
Information Wants to Be Free      PGP Public Key available by Finger