RE: Paying members of group for work
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 07:55:42 PST
At Sharingwood we have a childcare cooperative system which works well
for us.  Everyone gets $100 in "play money" to start. Childcare goes at
a standard rate per hour.  When you start running out of money its time
to do childcare, when you start accumulating too much money its time to
go out and leave the kids.

This system has a couple of advantages which can be generalized: 1. It
makes acounting easy.  2. It lets you know your status of contributing
within the system, if you are low in  "money"  you need to contribute
to the system, If you are ahead in money you are in good standing.  We
have talked about expanding this system into other labors but the vast
majority want our community labors to be done as free and voluntary
contributions to the community, not as cooerced, forced labor
requirements. We made an agreement within our membership that as long
as all the  "important" stuff got done we would keep our labor system
voluntary.  After two years, its still working.