other windmills
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 11:14:09 -0500 (CDT)
On Weds, 23-FEB-1994 10:23:05.02
From: John Ladwig <jladwig [at] soils.umn.edu>
Subject: RE: Urban cohousing
John said:
It wasn't (for many of us) simply money, but in many cases it was a
combination of time *and* money.  The money required to get a
cohousing project off the ground was looking more and more like
(possibly more than) the money involved in getting a single or small
group project off the ground, and *much* more time.

Some of us have gone on to tilt at other windmills...  One of which
came about as a direct result of a Cohousing meeting/association.
Details on request, although a lot of the local folks (the only ones
affected) know what I'm talking about.
I , for one, would be very interested in hearing of your windmills.  I'm really
glad you TRG'ers are staying on the NET,  and very sorry that nothing has
worked out after all your work.  I'd have to say, after 1 year with the Network
at the beginning, and 3 + years in core groups, and who knows how long till we
get our Phase 2 units occupied and get the real benefits of a good sized group,
I know what you mean about *much* more time.  It is, I'm sorry to say, harder
than I thought it would be (and I didn't think it would be easy).  But, when I
think of the alternatives, I'm still committed.  I do think that the extra
work required for the larger projects will pay off in less turnover and greater
longevity.  I sure hope so.
Good luck, anyway.
Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, Twin Cities Area, Mpls/St.Paul MN
        (Mococo)                baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
2925 Monterey Ave So,  St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  612-930-7580