`
From: Gordon (weilepivax.epi.umn.edu)
Date: 25 Feb 1994 10:58:45 -0600 (CST)
Andre G. writes,

> LETS sounds to me like a way of avoiding taxes.  Ordinarily, if I pay
> Bob to build a garage for my house, and Bob pays me to set up an
> accounting system for his construction business, then that's taxable
> income for us both.  If we're exchanging imaginary "credits" instead
> of "real money," I suppose it's a different question.  No doubt the
> government will find a way to get its cut eventually, however.

It may be implemented for that reason, but another reason for LETS is that it
promotes a self-sustaining economy, develops local skills, and prevents the loss
of money from the community.  Everyone works together because their credits
don't count in the outside world.  It's a carrot-stick system for promoting
community.  The St Croix Valley Greens are implementing a LETS system among
their members.

- Gordon Weil

  • Re: ` Tom Patton, February 24 1994
    • ` Gordon, February 25 1994