Re: What importance is the group name? (was Re: the politics of co-h)
From: Nancy Wight (wightwal.hp.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 15:44 CST

 Laura Bagnall wrote:
 > [...]  The one decision that has been totally unresponsive to
 > this process is deciding on a new name for our group! [....]
 > We have had a number of
 > discussions about names, and we always end up coming up with a
 > long list of name, and no consensus on what name we should
 > choose.

 Nancy Wight (wight [at] wal.hp.com) replied:
 > We at New View had this same problem.  [....]
 > But every
 > time someone brings up the "name issue", people groan and
 > act as if they *really* don't want to deal with it!

 Steve Thompson replied:
> I don't understand the significance that the group name has to your
> two groups.

> If I've read Laura and Nancy postings correctly, the name of their
> groups (and the *right* name) has a lot of importance to the groups.
> I can partially understand this, since I the name will be associated
> with the first contact new participants might have with the cohousing
> group.  I can guess it's partly seen as related to recruitment, since
> different people might be attracted to a different name.  Is this one
> of the reasons name choosing is hard?  Or something else?

No.

> However, the name doesn't matter too much to me.  Now, I'm only at the
> stage of investigating a group to see if I'm interested in it, and
> that lack of commitment certainly gives me a different perspective
> than people who are ready to build or already moved in.  Still, to me
> it's the people and the land and the buildings and the group dynamics
> that defines the group, rather than the name.

I agree with you that it's not the name that defines the group.
One could argue it's not the color of the tile in the common house
bathroom, or the types of doorknobs chosen that define the group either.
It's not necessarily the *importance* or lack thereof of the issue at hand.
It's just one of those details that means different things to different
people, more to some than to others (like the color of the buildings),
which makes it very difficult to reach *consensus* on any *one* name.
Also, for me, the name of our street is more important than the name of
our group, because we will forever be writing it as our address.  It's
this street naming that I was talking about here (which could also be
the name of our community).

- Nancy

Nancy Wight                                               (508) 659-4974
New View Neighborhood Development, Acton, MA            wight [at] wal.hp.com