naming a group
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 94 00:13 CST
In my view, the name should be short (or shorten-able), and probably innocuous,
in the sense of *not* trying to get an idea across, since it will probably be
misinterpreted.  Our name (Monterey CoHousing Community) was chosen because we
are on Monterey Avenue . In the Twin Cities, several groups have chosen
geographical reference - typ- names (Seward for Seward neighborhood, Bryn Mawr
for Bryn Mawr Neighborhood, Anderson Lane for the  street.  It at leasts gives
you a local location referent.
        In retrospect, the problem with Monterey is that it suggests California
to many, but it's too late to change.  And MoCoCo seems to be a nice short
version (we also say "monterey").
        I think the thing to avoid is a name that needs an explanation, like
"Best of Both Worlds" which was looking for a site between urban and rural.

I don't think the name is a big deal, but it does appear to be very hard to
change once it is chosen.

Judy
Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
other mail:     2925 Monterey Ave So,  St. Louis Park, MN 55416
Twin Cities CoHousing Network Voice Mail  612-930-7580