Fist-to-Five/Consensus
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 13:26 CST
From: Judy Baxter
Our group uses an alternative to colored cards that seems to work pretty well.
(and we don't have to mess with cards).  When we are testing for consensus,
people hold up from 0 to 5 fingers (0 is a fist).
        5=I approve, agree , ... a lot
        4=  less total but very positive
        . . .
        1=I can live with it, but don't support it
        0=fist=blocking.

In general, (I think) we always discuss/explore 2's or less.  The system gives
                         ^^^^^^
a pretty good feel for where people are, very quickly.
        (this came from the public schools system!!)

We tried the colored cards described in CoHusing Newsletter, way back (1 1/2 or
2 years ago).  The colors were more oriented to managing discussion (meant
things like: I can answer that question, process comment, etc.  It seemed good
for giving quieter people a chance to talk, but hard to remember what the
colers were, and to shuffle cards.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
other mail:     2925 Monterey Ave So,  St. Louis Park, MN 55416