Re: Alcohol Use in Cohousing
From: Stephen Hawthorne (hawthornacpub.duke.edu)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 12:16:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Following the recent discussion of policies regarding pets and
> guns in cohousing, I would like to raise another touchy issue --
> consumption of alcoholic beverages, particularly in the common
> areas of the community.
>
> This issue has been brought up in Rose Tree, and I wondered if
> any other groups have developed an alcohol policy.
>
> Lynne Farnum
> Rose Tree Cohousing
> Groton, Massachusetts

Lynn:  We have developed an alcohol and drugs policy.

        "This community recognizes the rights of its members to drink and smoke
in the privacy of their own homes according to their own discretion.  The
modest use of alcohol, not to include obvious inebriation, is considered
appropriate usage in community settings, except before and during community
meetings and retreats.  Smoking tobacco in community areas is to be confined to
outdoor spaces set aside for that purpose.  Use of any other substances is not
considered appropriate to community settings."

        We are still in the meeting and planning stage, about to close on 65
rural acres outside Chapel Hill, NC, where 15 households will live together.
We don't have the experience of enforcing these rules while living together,
but so far in 20 months of meetings and retreats, we haven't had any need to.

Stephen Hawthorne
 Chatham County Group