eating/cooking in cohousing
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 1994 09:40:55 -0500 (CDT)
Does anyone have any experience to share on dealing with various food allergies
and requirements?  Of 20-25 households now either full or associate members
(associates are in the process of joining) I would guess we have at least 8
with some kind of restrictions (vegetarian, macro-biotic, no wheat, no gluten,
no spices(includes onions, green pepper as well), no dairy, no tomatoes, no
fish, no eggs).  Right now, with the 8 resident households, we get pretty
creative, and usually have only 2 versions (w/ or w/o spice) of dishes, and
avoid wheat and dairy, but sometimes we have 3.   It seems to me that if we go
to 'least common denominator' we would be down to macrobiotic with no fish and
limited vegies and spices.  And that making more options is going to require
more cooking time/ and or people cooking more frequently. one suggestion has
been to develop a set of menus .  Ideas?
judy
Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
other mail:     2925 Monterey Ave So,  St. Louis Park, MN 55416