RE: "Air Space" Condos
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 12:17 CDT
Sharingwood is an air space condo.  In Washington, and several other
states, one of the ways you can define a condo is called an air space
condo. What this actually is, is a survey and legal description of
building lots.  Everything within the survey stakes is considered the
condominium unit.  In our case this is very important because the local
planning department which approved our rezone demanded that each
individual house have ownership of its drainfield.  Typically condos
are defined with three types of ownership, the private unit, called the
exclusive use area, the commonly owned area, called common use and
areas which are owned commonly but maintained by a particular owner,
called Limited common areas.  In most condo arrangements the exclusive
use area is either defined by walls or the footprint of the building.
In an air space condo the whole building lot and all structures,
gardens, drainfields, chipmunks, trees, etc. become the condominium
exclusive use area.

Basically it is a way to use a condominium to subdivide land.

The way our development works is that we took  nine acres  out of a 38
acre parcel of land which we owned cooperatively, divided it into 17
building lots, added commonspace for a commonhouse and a road.  Our
attorney then described all these things in the condominium
declarations and a survey showing all the elements, and the condominium
declarations were filed with the county.  Once the condo was filed, we
created a condo association which then passed 17 individual titles to
the lot owners.  The condominium owners associaiton owns and controls
the road, parking and one building lot which, if all goes according to
plan, will hold our commonhouse which is being built this summer.

We were the first air space condominium in Washington State (Its a
relatively new change to the law) and our attorney had FMNA and a
respected title company review our declarations before our decalrations
were filed to ensure that what we created would be acceptable to the
banking industry.  We now have 5 different banks holding mortgages on
houses here so everything seems to have worked out ok.

One of the nifty advantages for us, is that using the air space condo
law, drainfields can be separate from the houses (remote).  The
drainfields are just surveyed pieces of ground with easements for
pipes.  This will allow us considerable flexiblity in designing the
second phase of our community in that we can arrange the houses anyway
we wish and not have to worry about whether the soil in that particular
location will support a drainfield.

The primary disadvantage to this scheme is that it can be rather
expensive. The total cost of both the survey and the legal
documentation for our development ran about $35,000.  Of course,
divided by 17 unit owners that works out to $2,000 a peice, which isn't
too bad but if you only had a core group of 5 doing this it could be
prohibitive.  It also took the better part of a year to accomplish,
which seemed like forever, but it the big picture it all worked out in the end.