RE: Getting It Built at Esalen
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 12:32 CDT
Martin Tracy wrote about the Esalen workshop, hot-tubs, and Grass
Valley cohousing breaking up over a conflict:

Thanks for passing along the workshop info, I think it will be
valuable.  Esalen is a beautiful place.

At Sharingwood we plan on acquiring a hot-tub this summer.  My current
understanding is that we will be putting it in the woods which will
allow for privacy for nudity and I suppose we will need to talk about
how to deal with nudity if someone has a problem with it.  (My house
has been referred to as a nudist colony in that we have a small pond
and kids pool and most the little kids don't bother wearing clothes
when they are playing. This has not been a problem yet, and all the
parents seem fine with it.)

I know of several communities which have spas and hot tubs which have
no problems with nudity.  However, many of these communities also have
frankly discussed sexuality and worked out how to deal with that issue.
Sexuality is a classic hidden issue in many communities and can really
cause problems, especially in close shared quarters, if it is not
openly acknowleged and dealt with.

As far as the Grass valley group breakup, one of the first things a
group should do is to figure out a conflict resolution strategy.  It is
sad and totally unecessary that a simple conflict should escalate to
the point where it derails a community.  Conflicts are a healthy and
normal part of group process.  The trick is to deal with them before
they get to the fight or flight stage.  I have also observed that
sometimes the issue under conflict is only a flag for another conflict
or conflicts which have been ignored or unseen.  It is really important
in a group endeavor that the members have a forum in which they can
safely talk about their feelings.  Business meetings don't work for
this, you need a separate gathering for it and a process which allows
open-ness and freedom to say what you really feel.

Behavioral feedback, group open letters, feelings circles, wisdom
councils are all ways to deal with unexpressed feelings.  A good
counselor/mediator can train a group in one or more of these methods
and also provide mediation in conflicts.

I wrote an article in the Winter issue of Cohousing Magazine about one
way to set up such a forum, called a feelings circle and would be
willing to send a copy of that article to any group who wants it if
they send me a SASE.

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network
22020 East Lost Lake Rd