Re: real estate attorneys
From: Pablo Halpern (phalpernworld.std.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 10:11 CDT
Stephanie Fassnacht asks how selected/should select a real estate
attorney.

I was peripherally involved with the selection of three lawyers for New
View.  The first lawyer seemed a little unresponsive (slow), and that drove us
to find the second lawyer.  We hired the second and third lawyers
simultaneously.  One is a big-firm Boston lawyer well known for real estate
experience, the other is a small-time lawyer that specializes in
community issues.  The former is our "main" lawyer and does all of the
legal paper work.  The latter has the role of a consultant.

I am no expert on the process of selecting lawyers, so I will keep my
advice brief and concentrate on our experience.  My advice:

1. Delegate the job of finding an attorney to a committee.
2. Figure out what your needs are.  Any lawyer should, at least:
   * Have multi-unit real estate experience.
   * Be able to work with a consensus-based group.
   * Understand and support the cohousing concept.
3. Get referals from as many people as possible.
4. Narrow the list by phone.  A pre-determined set of questions helps
   here.  Ask about cost, experience, etc.  Get and follow up on