monthly assessments
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 17:11 CDT
Maureen Hayes asked about monthly assessments.   I assume you mean something
similar to association fees for a condo complex, covering operating costs of
common space.

We have so far agreed to pay these on a modified adults/household bases, i.e.
dues are set at (say) $50/month for a single adult household, and $25/mo
additional for each additional addult.  So a 2-adult household would pay $75, a
3-adult household $100.  This is a compromise between the per-household idea,
which charges singles the same as multiples, and charging per adult, which was
thought to be unfair (I'm not exactly sure why - maybe the idea that 2 adults
will not use common facilities twice as much as 1??).  Nothing for children,
with the idea of keeping it affordable for families.

That's the dues we pay now, except that current residents are actually paying a
lot more, on a temporary basis - with the plan that we'll get it adjusted when
the full community moves in.  There's more complex stuff, too, but I don't have
time to go into it.  It's SPRING outside.

judy
Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
other mail:     2925 Monterey Ave So,  St. Louis Park, MN 55416