Re: Limits to CoHousing -Reply
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 10:35 CDT
Steve Fogarty  wrote:
>The authors of the book that brought this living concept to
>us all (CoHousing) state very clearly that the least successful
>European CoHousing communities were those that bore an ideological
>flag - "we are Green" or "we are Orange".

As much as I admire both Katy and Chuck (The authors of the first
Cohousing Book) I must point out that their book should not be taken as
the gospel truth about cohousing in Denmark, or anywhere else.  The
book is an excellent introduction but has some definate bias' which
framed their viewpoints. They openly admit that.  I have had
discussions with folks who have also visited cohousing (for longer than
Katy and Chuck did) and also with folks who live and have lived in
Danish Cohousing Communities and would say from those learnings that
the book tells less than half the cohousing story.  For example, the
communities they picked to write about in the book were not a clear
cross-section of all the different kinds.

So don't let one example frame the truth.  I saw a slide show from a
couple who had spent three years touring and living in Danish Cohousing
and they had a different viewpoint about ideology and cohousing.  Who
is right? They both probably are.

Katy and Chuck don't define American cohousing, nor does their company,
nor does any single cohousing group.  Ten years from now, when there
are say 40-50 cohousing groups up and running and we have some real
examples and history to draw from, then, in my opinion at least, we can
take a stab at defining American cohousing in a clear way.

RIght now cohousing is too murky to  clearly and truthfully say, what
is right and what is not, what works and what does not. The experiment
continues along many lines and whether ideological cohousing, or any
cohousing works or not will be seen in the test of time.