What's a cohousing development?
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 15:57 CDT
Fred wrote of the cohousing magazines list:

>The Listing of Cohousing Contacts Across North America is a 3 page
>insert with listings in 34 States, the Dist. of Columbia and Canada.
>THe approximately 175 listings include a city/town
>and phone number (no address).

There is an interesting question of what is, what is not cohousing. For
example is a cooperative land trust, with no common house cohousing?
How about a housing cooperative with no shared land or commonhouse?

On the back page of the last couple of issues of cohousing magazine has
been this box titled "What is Cohousing?" The first paragraph states:
Cohousing communities are resident-developed cooperative neighborhoods
where individual households are clustered around a common house with
shared facilities... but resident cooked dinners are often available
for those who wish to participate.

I know that some of the projects (4)  listed from the NW don't fit the
description listed above. I suppose it really doesn't matter if a frog
calls itself a toad because the difference is small and the only ones
who might care are other toads and frogs but it makes me wonder about
the solid the 175 number really is.  One of the reasons the term
CoHousing was originally copyrighted (although later freed) was to keep
other forms of intentional community from calling themselves cohousing
and confusing what cohousing is.