Re: How much of a premium will you pay for cohousing ?
From: Nancy Wight (wightwal.hp.com)
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 08:24 CDT

> Have you been able to identify why your costs are over appraised value? If
> you are acting as your own developer, it should be possible for costs to
> be belo appraised value. Are there some improvements that the appraiser
> does not think are of value and would not be paid for by the open market?

> David Sucher

The main reason why the costs are over appraised value is because we
planned a community of 29 houses on this particular piece of land, and
after going through some of the permitting/negotiating process, if
we continue with our current permit, we are only able to have 23-24
(with one affordable unit on site).  The reasons why this happened
are complicated - we were mislead by the town planner, the negotiations
with two neighbors didn't turn out the way we thought it would, some
legal issues turned up, etc.  I think our biggest problem was the cost
of the land, which was very expensive (which is unfortunately the case
for a lot of this area).

- Nancy

Nancy Wight                                               (508) 659-4974
New View Neighborhood Development, Acton, MA            wight [at] wal.hp.com