Cohousing and the future: training leaders
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 08:47 CDT
Message author: Rob Sandelin <robsan [at] microsoft.com>
Posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop.

I had a very interesting and stimulating discussion last night at
community dinner with a visitor who is a student of sociology.  One of
the things that came out in our discussion that I had never thought
about before was the idea of Cohousing as leadership training.  As this
discussion rolled around our common eating area several members noted
that in virtually every organization, and  also within their work
environment they tend to end up in leadership roles. We are not
actually leaders in terms of being governors, or presidents of things,
we are leaders with a small l, running the PTA, the local pre-school
board, the local democratic caucus, etc.

I found that was true of myself, not because of any desire to run
things, but that after several years of working with this group and
refining our meeting process, I can't stand to sit through poorly run
meetings and I end up "ghost facilitating" by asking for agendas,
setting time limits on discussions, creating action items and
deliverables and action plans, reviewing progress and summarizing.
When you do that a few times, you end up being nominated to be the
chair.  One of the commonalties we discovered is that even when several
of us have declined leadership position we are the ones who get called
by the leaders for council and advice.  It was very fascinating to
watch this conversation unfold (one of the best things about community
dinner) and see the connections being made.  My wife, who declined the
presidents role in the PTA is constantly being called by the leadership
for advice.  This same exact thing was related by four other neighbors
with organizations they belong to!

Although they don't come to meetings much, our children also show
similar leadership roles in school and in play and tend to be the
peacemakers and instigators of cooperative play.

I never realized that so many of my neighbors hold so many leadership
positions and it sparked a very inspiring discussion about how the
cooperative values, negotiation and communication skills which are
inherent in Cohousing are also very much the skills of leadership, and
if we are the leaders, and our children are the leaders of the next
generation, there really is hope for a saner world.

I wonder if the leadership phenomena we discovered last night holds
true in other groups?