Pioneers and Settlers: Different personalities within Cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 09:14 CDT
Stuart Staniford-Chen of N-St. Cohousing wrote:

>>>Having said that, in looking at how many of one's neighbors have leadership
roles, one should probably remember that people who are attracted to
Cohousing and willing to put the time into a long process are probably
not average people to begin with.

Yes indeed. I was talking with some other cohousers from Winslow about
the difference even within cohousers between the "Pioneers" and the
"Settlers".  The pioneers are the risk takers, they tend to be dynamic,
leader types, doers and visionaries.  The people who come in later,
after all the risk is over, or even after the project is built have a
different dynamic to them.  They are more interested in social details
than idealism issues, they are the intellectuals, the administrators.

There exists a very interesting dynamic within my own community between
those of us who plunked down wheelbarrows of money and built houses
before there was any legal individual property titles (The first house
was built 5 years before individual title was created) and those who
came after all the titles and bank stuff was secured and there was
little risk.  The pioneers tend to be very  committed and who come to
all the meetings and move much of the process, generating ideas and
vision.  Those that came later into Sharingwood are much less involved,
seem to care more about their property values, care less about group
commitment and endeavors.

Most of the pioneer types saw creating Cohousing as an achievable
dream, and we jumped at the chance to actualize our dreams. We stuck it
out when things got sticky and ugly, worked out a process to cooperate
in an egalitarian way and it is that journey we traveled that binds us
together and provides the understanding, tolerance and care we have of
each other.  Those that did not make that journey, don't share that
connection, and it is a palpable difference in our relationships.

For example the other day in a group meeting I was facilitating I saw
Nick give that little "face scrunch" he does when somebody says
something that doesn't  jive with him.  I asked him for his thoughts
and afterwards realized how well I know him to understand what that
"face scrunch" means. He didn't ask to be called on, I just knew he had
something to say...

One of my secret worries is that over time we will lose the fire,
connection and commitment to each other we have and just become another
suburban neighborhood, where people have little commitment to the group
other than what is convenient for them and the ideals of individual
growth, group cooperation, and working for what's best for the
community become empty slogans which fade in the dust of self interest.

Community is not made up of buildings, or roads, or walkways and
commons. It is the relationship between people who live together and
their commitment to that relationship.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing
Philosophizing again huh?