Group vision/goals: Examples
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 15:02 CDT
Nancy wight wrote:

 Here's an example of what we called our "primary goals" -
that with which we felt we could not do without:
        1. Less burdensome lifestyle (i.e. sharing, neighborliness, watching
           each other's kids, etc.)
        2. Affordable
        3. Ecologically sound practices
        4. Natural beauty, healing and serene (surroundings)
        5. Age diversity
        6. Not based on a particular idealogy or dogma
        7. Good schools (in the town we choose)

I would be intersted in seeing groups post their visons/ goals/ values
statements.
Follows is Sharingwoods Principles and Commitments:

We have joined together on this land to create a mutually supportive
community where there is respect, caring and appreciation of each other
and our surroundings.

*  Where each person feels accepted and valued as they are.
*  Where decisions are reached through consensus.
*  Where responsible environmental choices are encouraged.
*  Where children and adults can play, grow and learn in a nurturing
atmosphere.

I will do my best to:

 * Become conversant with the Articles, Bylaws, Declarations and any other
policies decided upon by the Sharingwood Community
 * Be attentive to the needs of the Sharingwood environment and community.
* Contribute my skills and talents to the Sharingwood Community.
* Be an active participant in the committees and governance of Sharingwood.
* Help resolve troublesome differences in the Sharingwood Community.

We also have a values statement which I don't have handy but states
that we support the values of freedom of religion, family and sexual
privacy, cooperation, non-violence, fairness and equal access.

It is interesting to note that none of these are inheirently political,
yet in definition they are very political. For example our value of
non-violence has been expressed in certain behaviors which  discourage
kids from playing war, terrorist and toy guns are also frowned upon.
They are not forbidden by any rule, just that the "cultural norm" of
Sharingwood is that toy guns are inappopriate and several parents
openly tell visiting kids that if they want to play with toy guns,
their child will not participate.  When a new couple with two boys
moved in they came with a small arsenal of toy guns.  There is no rule
that toy guns are forbidden, but they picked up on the "culture" and I
haven't seen a toy gun for months.   The value of non-violence  itself
it pretty generic, the expression of the value is very political.  One
of our works in progress is to clarify and define at least what some of
our values are expressed as so that the "cultural norm" is clearly
recognized and written down.  I think if we had started by stating no
toys guns are allowed, it wouldn't have worked.  I think to write up
our practiced norms, now that we live together, will be pretty easy
because the behaviors are already being practiced.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood