Re: Permits, Big Brother & Hi
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 19:37 CDT
Message author: Munn Heydorn, Winfield, Illinois INTERACCESS.COM!MUNN
Posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop.

Hello all;
I have been "lurking" (at another "address") for some time now and have
found the talk on cohousing quite interesting.  I work as a commercial real
estate lender for a bank in Chicago's suburbs.  It is particularly
interesting to me that the existing cohousing, with the exception of one
noted in Minnesota, seem to be on the coasts.  We midwesterners are a
conservative lot.

The conversation on permits, neighbors and getting hung up (or, out to dry)
in the zoning and permitting process has been particularly interesting since
I've been involved in that indirectly for some time through work and,
lately, through some housing related non-profits.  Good commercial real
estate developers (An oxymoron?) really do their homework in terms of
finding out who has power in town, meeting with those persons with the
power, meeting with the neighbors and, generally holding hands and selling
their project.  In something relatively new like cohousing, it would be
particularly important that the neighbors and town powers be educated and
sold.  It does help to meet the folks that are trying to do the deal and
wish to live there and, hopefully, show what personable and reasonable folks
they are in fact.  I suppose it is somewhat intellectually dishonest but,
some developers have been known for going in asking for the moon, sun, stars
*and* very high density and then "settling" for what they wanted in the
first place.  Hard to believe!

On a side note, one reason I have been bouncing around the net is a goal of
putting on a seminar for non-profits in my area - particularly housing
related - on on-line services, including the Internet.  I have noted a
number of lists related to non-profits,social services, disabilities and the
like but a paucity of offerings regarding affordable housing.  If anyone has
thoughts or gopher pointers or other clues on affordable housing info, I
certainly would appreciate them.  Please respond to me directly
<munn [at] interaccess.com> rather than through the list on this topic.  Thanks
for your patience.

Thanks for the opportunity to talk to you,
Munn Heydorn, Winfield, Illinois